Our feet are complex body parts, with an array of bones and joints packed into a tiny space. In fact, each foot has a whopping 28 bones and over 30 different joints. They are an essential part of our body’s facilitation of movement and physical activity. Unfortunately, they are also a prime target for osteoarthritis – the most common form of Arthritis in Feet – which is caused by gradual ‘wear and tear’. Fear not, as there are many treatment options available should you develop the condition.
Most Common Areas Affected by Foot Osteoarthritis
- The joint that connects the big toe to the foot
- The joint where the ankle and shin meet
- The joint that gives the heel its flexibility
The symptoms of foot osteoarthritis are much like the symptoms of other forms of arthritis, only localized to the foot region. They include:
- Stiffness and loss of flexibility in the joint
- Redness, swelling, and inflammation in the area
- Tenderness or pain to the touch
Luckily, diagnosing this condition is typically much easier than other forms of osteoarthritis. X-ray imaging, MRIs, bone scans, and an examination of medical history have proven to be efficient at properly diagnosing OA. After diagnosis, there are a multitude of ways to help treat and prevent the symptoms.
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Special braces, pads, and supports
- Physical therapy
- Custom footwear
Although OA is irreversible, to a certain degree, prevention and treatment are both easily attainable. As always, weight management is crucial to achieving healthy living and arthritis prevention. Exercise is a key component to maintaining flexibility and range of motion throughout your joints. If you are concerned that you may be experiencing OA, speak with your doctor to address the issue. Early detection and rapid treatment can delay, or even halt further degradation.
Flexcin International provides effective, premium quality, all-natural joint health supplements. For more information visit our product catalog today.
Latest posts by Flexcin (see all)
- Sudden Joint Pain - August 4, 2015
- Does the Weather Cause Joint Pain? Plus 5 Tips To Prevent Joint Pain - July 21, 2015
- How to Prevent Knee Pain - July 13, 2015